Wednesday, December 07, 2005

When your kid is ill...

What's new...well...yesterday I went to pick up the girl's from school, and as I was, there was this kid who had some kind of seisure...the teacher looked befuddled...so I checked the kid out for the usual, as another kid went to report the incident...

the regular routine I have when the girl's get sick...to determine how sick they are...most of you are probably already aware of these but some might not be...so...

keep in mind some of these may not apply...as they didn't with that kid...but some always apply...and they are in no specific order...

basics:

1. check for dehydration...place finger in mouth and check to see if the roof of the mouth is very dry ( not slippery at all )..
2. check for shallow breathing...look to see if the stomach is collapsing
3. check pulse for signs of abnormality
4. check eyes for focus, appearance, and movement/location ( I usually stand about three feet away and ask them to tell me how many fingers I'm holding up )
5. check speech for sluring or any abnormalities ( I usually have them repeat Scooby-Doo twice )
6. check hearing for abnormalities ( I usually stand behind them and whisper something they should hear )
7. check mobility ( I usually have them lift a leg and wiggle their fingers....not at the same time :D )
8. check feeling ( does it hurt )
9. check the color of their lips ( they should not be blue )

if these all appear normal...then...they probably have a normal problem ( cold, flu, etc... )...if any are abnormal...see a doctor to be sure.

it looked to me like the kid at school had a severe allergic reaction to something that put him in shock...he was completely out of it...I'll find out later what happened.

Eg ;)